Saturday, June 16, 2007

Showtime in the "FRose City" (Part One)

(From 01/22/07)
I'm anticipating that it will take as long to organize my thoughts and write about this weekend as it would to unravel and re-ravel The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota. Every inche of its six point million feet of sisal.


Speaking of roadside attractions, the annual Rose City Cluster of All-Breed Dog Shows (including a Thursday of specialties, including the Terrier Association of Oregon's Group Show) at the Portland Exposition Center, is an Interstate-5-side attraction.

However the snow actually stuck and the icy roads remained frozen. I wondered if we'd even make it to the venue. Schools closed for most of the week, national news programs and even The Tonight Show and the "Oddball" segment of Countdown With Keith Olbermann featured slap-stickish scenes from Portland's bumper-carlike road scenes. At home on Monday especially, Geordie played Scratch 'n Sniff in the snow and Maggie cruised the back yard in the powder that did not melt for the entire day. But mostly we stayed warm and hunkered down within four walls. By Tuesday we ventured out for a surprisingly refreshing walk and they made yellow snow .

By Wednesday, although I could navigate the flat and well-sanded roads within a couple of miles of home, I wondered if I'd successfully journey to North Portland without becoming a mere insurance statistic. I practically held my breath, even as my friend Angel arrived from Ashland that evening. Leaving her "pre-existing dogs" at home in her partner's care,
she made this pilgrimage to check out Westies at the Terrier Association of America's Specialty Show. Angel hopes one day to establish her own small hobby kennel. She and I planned to carpool on Thursday and and obviously succeeded, since I have lived to write about it.

I have been attending these shows for about fourteen years-- initially with Larry and my sons when we were looking to find our first family dog, which would be Maggie. After they had had enough and had pronounce me "one of those crazy dog people, " I kept going, either alone or with friends. Then I went to see Geordie compete in the conformation ring for his championship, a goal to which I, at first, I had merely acquiesced. A few years later, Maggie would make me proud (and save my ass) in the obedience ring. Subsequently Geordie would humble me while entertaining the ringside crowd and flirting with the female judges and stewards in the same obedience ring. For the last couple of years, I have come to support friends and root for Geordie's descendants (they're also Maggie's nieces and nephews) and browse the vendors.

Usually I leave Maggie at home, as she's not wild about the ambience: the lights are harsh, the cement floor is hard, and the canine potty areas are unbearable. On the other hand, for Geordie, it's probably the biggest, most fragrant, and fantabulous singles' bar this side of the Mississippi River. He and I-- we return to these shows every third week of January just as the swallows return from their winter vacation spot in Goya, Corriente, Argentina to San Juan Capistrano, CA each third week of March.

This year, Geordie (qua "canine spokesmodel") and I joined Paula and Brian at the vendor area at the Tahitian Noni Juice booth. On my agenda was introducing people to Canine Essentials products. Saturday and Sunday, Cairn terrier breeder Vicki Havlik and Rusty Han**** showed up and Cindi Marshall brought her beautiful Zoe on Friday, who stood in for Geordie as "spokesmodel" and did so most adorably.

Noni Spokesmodel Zoe enjoying Canine Essential Rewards
The good part about these shows is that you get to see old friends, such as the judge, a very nice breeder from Herndon, VA, who gave Geordie his first major win almost exactly nine years ago. And sometimes you can get your friends to be really good sports and groom your ragamuffin dog that has started to resemble a miniature yak.

(Thanks, Vicki)

And if you're fortunate, you may get to see your dog's granddaughter, CH. KinLoch's Marywood, RN ME, win a Best of Breed over a whole lot of other really fine dogs.


I will continue with Part Two, which I will at least begin tomorrow.
Meanwhile, visit Holy Terrier Dog Designs to fill some of your apparel and household needs in grand terrier style.

Cheerio from--
Jill, Magnet, Geordgan


No comments: