Thursday, November 5, 2015

Playing Catch-Up After Too-Long "Sabbatical"



Audrey (Scotch Broom To The Manor Born, JA, RATN, CA) all grown up! She's a FREEGAN. But saving that for another time. . .
This should have been posted five and a half years ago. These pictures are THAT OLD! Not only that, I need to go through this whole site to update. But for now, here's the first of about 100 posts from July 2010 until today. To date, Audrey has earned three performance titles. More on that and a lot more soon.

Audrey a Cairn terrier puppy from Scotch Broom Kennels on beautiful Lopez Island-- one of the San Juan Islands-- in Washington State. She was bred by Carol Onstad to whom I am ever-grateful for letting Audrey come live with me! Without a doubt, she was the best gift I have ever received! Her mother, Scotch Broom Angelica (aka "Angie") was one of seventeen puppies in just two litters by my Geordie (CH.Joywood's Geordie for Magadog, CGC, CD, ME) and Carol and Rudy's Spicey (CH.Scotch Broom Braemar Spicey). All seventeen were named after herbs, spices, and other condiments. Spicey's co-breeders were Carol and Pauli Christy, at the time both Floridians. Audrey's father is CH. Braemarscotchbroom Midshipman aka "Salty."

I was partial to the name "Audrey," and I sought an appropriate registered name to match. I was initially drawn to Scotch Broom As You Like It as a possibility.  There is a minor character in that play with one line that starts, “I am not a slut. . .” And from an early age, my soon-to-be puppy-daughter certainly appeared to be a camera whore. But subsequently, I decided that she would be Scotch Broom To The Manor Born, after a Brit-com of that name (minus the "Scotch Broom") whose protagonist was Audrey fforbes-Hamilton, played by (now she's DAME) Penelope Keith. It also offered some ironic humor to the rather humble apartment complex in Oregon City, where I was living at the time, the name of which I will leave to your imagination.

She is almost the same color as her grandpa, my beautiful Geordie, a "gray brindle," She is technically a "cream brindle"-- with a few more warm tones than he had. My darling Maggie, a "red brindle" was her great aunt. All three with black masks and points. I am seriously smitten. Again.

 
Pictures below by Carol Onstad and Bette Shuh, when Carol (and her late, wonderful husband, Rudy) still lived on Lopez Island.


 Audrey at home at "The Manor," the apartment complex where I lived for a couple of years. (It's almost on the other side of the classy-spectrum from 115 Central Park West, for example.)




On the left-- with one of her sisters at their birthplace on Lopez Island, Washington



 Another baby picture. . . jaunty little thing, n'est-ce que pas?
With her five sisters and one brother.

 Tenacious tiny terrier @ her birthplace
 Enjoying dinner with her clan at Carol and Rudy Onstad's home. Audz is the one with the tail that points to the bottom right of this picture.
Incredulous when I first saw this one. Carol insists that this brood ALWAYS divided themselves up according to coat color. A friendly competition. A bit reminiscent of "color war" (or "teamweek," as they called it at Camp Winnetaska in beautiul Holderness, New Hampshire.)
With Carol where we rendezvous-ed at the Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club's inaugural specialty show and banquet.
Initial bonding with my new "daughter" @ the Red Lion on the Columbia River in Portland.

For the astrologically curious, here is Audrey's astrological birth chart. She's a Taurus with a Sagittarius Moon and an Aquarius Ascendant.

That is all for today. It's getting late. But I'll be back.

No comments: